Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fertilizer - Feeding the Soil - Part 2

by Richard Chew

I knew embarking in such a hobby, I'll need to relearn good practises and unlearn some bad ones to create a successful garden.

Well thats the reason why I am posting this Part 2 version.

As I am writing, I have started experimenting some new fertilizers to treat some special conditions on my rose plant.

I didn't know that Vermicompost fertilizer is easily available in major nursery. I bought it immediately as some of plants were in not so good shape after some continous heavy rain in September. The soil was pretty soaked with water. It is so bad that it is similar to those that is picked up from the river bank.

I replaced the soil with new ones as I didn't think the soil condition was reversible. Hopefully my rose can fully recover.

However for those that were not so critical, I tried Vermicompost as a means for preventive measures.

Vermicompost is natural and it is more simplified Nitrogen composition compares to those Organic manure. And it is very effective in binding soils in clumps to form better soil aeration and drainage.

Another thing that I add was the water soluble Miracid N30-P10-K10 fertilizer to increase the acidity of the soil because some of the roses were turning yellow, even the dainthus were turning yellow too.

After a couple of weeks of continous fertilizing, the results were quite tangible. Firstly the drainage has improved despite the continous wet weather. Secondly the top soil is more clumpy, rather than flat as flatness and compact at top soil is sign of too much water.

The leaves vein started to green.

For the healthier ones with numerous new shoots, I started with water soluble N10-P54-K10 by Shultz. I use very little about 1/4 teaspoon, but increase the frequency to 2 times a day. I started this a little too late, as some of the buds doesn't look so good. If I started earlier before the buds mature, perhaps it may produce better result.

Nevertheless it didn't look badly deformed when it bloomed. The bloom shape still intact and petals were looking good.

Just as I am posting this, I am also experimenting the effectiveness of some other fertilizer, especially for more established roses to increase the rate of vermicomposting. It should be something that is economical and at same time one that the earthworms love.

Read continuation in Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment