Monday, December 22, 2008

Dealing with cholorotic Nozomi Rose - Part 3

by Richard Chew

This is continuation since my posting 2 weeks ago.

The result is very encouraging. Had quite a number of new growth.

The leaves are greener, though it was hit by continous rain, the leaves remained healthy. This is good sign.

In the next 2 weeks, I expect some bulbs to develop from these shoots.

What did I do since my last posting?

About a week ago, I added some brown mulch at the top soil and moist the soil with compost tea. It is not exactly the same compost tea that is commonly sold in nursery, this one was home-made. It is popularly known as AACT, which stands for Actively Aerated Compost Tea. I will share more about the ingredients and the process of making this tea in my future postings.

This torned leave, must have been caused by an insect or a bug. I believe it didn't taste good, therefore the leave remained (no big munch). I learned that bugs and insects usually target stressed out plant, because stressed plant produces higher amounts of amino acids thus provide better taste and flavour for insects to munch.

Putting it in another angle, healthy plants taste awful for insects. This is excellent natural insect repellant !!!

And another plus benefit is that hungry insects tends to target mites & mealy bugs especially if they can't find tasty leaves for food. In a way insects do provide some benefit though they are sometimes can be a real pest. They help control population of mites, aphids and mealy bugs.

Ooops... I am going off topic... Cut the long story short... bottom line is healthier plants keep pest away. This is indeed a very very good sign.

Ok... back to the topic.

Though it is still early to confirm my findings. I am quite encouraged by the positive signs. Considering the amount of rain that my Nozomi rose had to endure for the past few weeks, and the persisting chlorotic condition for months, I would say it is responding excellently well.

I am going to leave this plant alone and not 'tamper' with the soil for another 2 weeks. And shall examine how it progress with little 'human' intervention. The objective here is to find a 'lasting' remedy that corrects the root problem.
Just this morning I noticed some fungal mushroomed from the mulch. This is another good sign that the organism beneath the soil is actively at work!!

At this recovery rate, I believe I will see some new flower bulbs developing soon. And yes this Nozomi rose shall definitely feature in my January bloom posting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment